Saturday 14 January 2012

Funny Man Owen Wilson talks about life on the big screen!




Chanelle Tourish catches up with the Hollywood star in Dubai were he reveals what it’s like to work with some of the biggest names in showbiz.

The Wedding Crashers star has appeared in four films this year and has worked alongside some of the finest names in the business, including Robert Di Niro, Ben Stiller, Bruce Willis and Jackie Chan.  Though it's not his meal ticket these days, Owen Wilson got his start in Hollywood as a writer. 

Along with friend and director Wes Anderson, he wrote the film Bottle Rocket.  Though the full-length version of Bottle Rocket wasn't a box-office hit, Wilson's role as star and writer of the film drew much acclaim after its 1996 release.

The Texan native said he never dreamt that he would become an actor, despite both his parents working in a creative industry.  His father worked at Dallas PBS television station, whilst his mother was a photographer.
I was living in Dallas, so it seemed so far-fetched to just go off to Hollywood," said Wilson.  "I thought I would just be a writer but Wes pushed us to act in Bottle Rocket. It's funny how things work out."
Wilson started his career as a writer and is behind the critically acclaimed film, The Royal Tenenbaums, which he wrote with Anderson.  The film was nominated for an Academy Award in 2001 for Best Original Screenplay and included a star-studded cast, Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow and Gene Hackman.
Soon after, Wilson auditioned to be in the Cable Guy; a film directed by Ben Stiller and Jim Carey and got the role. 
“Ben really loved Bottle Rocket and said he was excited to find stuff that we could work on together,” said Wilson.

Wilson and Stiller have worked on over ten movies together and have built a strong friendship over the years.  Zoolander, Starksy and Hutch and Meet the Parents were all a smashing success at the box office. 
“You develop a level of comfort with a person, which seems to be a natural thing.  I have worked with Ben a lot because I like his sense of humour and he’s an incredibly hard worker.  I don’t have to worry too much that he’ll be sweating the details” he said.

Despite being one of Hollywood’s finest actors, Wilson admits that he still gets star struck when working with people he admires.
“I remember being on the set of Meet the Parents and I turn around to see Robert Di Niro standing there looking at me and I just froze, I completely forgot all of my lines.  It was extremely embarrassing and of course Ben was there laughing because he knew that I was nervous,” said Wilson.

The American actor admitted to being nervous at the prospect of working with director Woody Allen on his latest film, Midnight in Paris and said that the weather helped him bond with the legendary director.
“Woody would always be on his iPhone during takes, checking the weather around the world,” he said.  “So I asked him, ‘Where is the hottest place right now?’ and it was Dubai.”
Wilson explained that he received a letter from Woody asking him to take on the lead role in the film.
“He sent me a really nice letter and he described the character as a bit more intellectual than I would normally play,” said Wilson. 

The handsome actor captured our hearts in films, ‘Marley and Me’ and made us laugh in box office hits, Zoolander and Hall Pass, but it was Wedding Crashers that propelled the 43 year old to Tinsel town status.
Wedding crashers was definitely the biggest movie that I have been in.  I had a fun time working on it. There was a lot of improvising and working with Vince was great, we got on so well and had a lot of fun together. We were always pushing each other to make the script better.  There was a level of trust between us on set, sometimes you work with people that you have to kind of tip toe around, and you know that’s just their process, but not with Vince,” said Wilson.

Wilson has had a string of hit films over the past decade and worked with some of the biggest names in the business.  The actor says he feels lucky to have been able to work with such established directors throughout his career.

“I remember working on Armageddon with Michael Bay and I got to the set late one day and he pulled me aside and said, ‘I worked with Sean Connery, a major movie star and in 40 years he was never late, why are you late?’ from that day on, I was never late again. I ended up getting along well with Michael and getting the chance to work with him was fantastic because I admire him so much. I’ve been lucky in my career that I have gotten to work with so many talented and good people.”

Wilson hopes to star alongside actor and brother, Luke Wilson in the future as well as his fellow ‘frat-pack’ buddies, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Vince Vaughan and long-time friend Ben Stiller.  There’s no doubt Wilson has further success ahead of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment